Sunday, May 31, 2009

postscript: Confessions of a "Gypsy"-holic

Director Mervyn LeRoy and cinematographer Harry Stradling Sr. frame Rosalind Russell and Natalie Wood for the final scene of "Gypsy"
One final anecdote about my on-going "Gypsy" obsession, which started when I saw it on stage in April, 1959 (my first exposure to a Broadway show) and reached a zenith with the release of the film in November '62.

But my finest moment occured on December 18th, 1986 when my wife and I attended a Rosalind Russell auction held at Christie's in New York.

I was prepared. Christie's had sent me a catalogue of what the Russell estate was making available for the auction. I was primarily interested in lot #234, which included Roz's shooting script for "Gypsy" (which Jack Warner had bound for her); a slew of stills and publicity shots; her Golden Globe for her performance in the film, and two scrolls autographed by everyone connected with the film.

Underestand this: I had to have it.

I won't say how much I paid, but Susan was having a minor meltdown during the process (because I was quickly exceeding our agreed-upon price). There was only one other "Gypsy" freak there who wanted that lot and he wouldn't give up. The two of us went at it. But I prevailed!

I'm fond of saying that "The Apartment" is the film that changed my life - which taught me how to "read" movies - but truth be told, "Gypsy" remains my desert-island film, something I'd gladly watch once a day, every day. So, happy anniversary to a great, great musical.

No comments:

Post a Comment