I found this shirt and decided it would come home with me--and bonus--it was a "red tag" so it was half off that day! (A few more also made it into my bag but I haven't quite figured out what I am going to do with them yet). Ok, back to the story. As I was saying, this shirt called to me.

Any ideas as to why?
Oh come on. Orange? Navy? Any guesses? Ha! It should be obvious--orange and navy mean only one thing in this house. WAR EAGLE! Poor LA must grow up in a house divided. Her mom is a smart, intelligent, amazing Auburn Tiger. Her dad is a Dawg (blech). Since I make the clothes, her first football outfit had to be orange and blue (besides, I think winning the national championship affords you first rights!)

With the guidance of the Playdate tutorial over at Craftiness is Not Optional, I transformed that Goodwill shirt into this adorable dress/tunic.

I used the basic idea of the Playdate dress, but made a few changes. I decided to make it a little bit shorter so that I could pair it with a long sleeve shirt and a pair of leggings when the weather gets cooler.

I increased the size of the sleeves and used my serger to create a lettuce edge along the sleeves. By increasing the size, I was able to gather them a bit to create more of a flutter sleeve. I also a lettuce edge along the bottom hem.

It took me a bit of practice to figure out how to do the lettuce edge on my serger. My technique still needs some work, but I am pleased with the outcome for this dress.

I was able to reuse the binding from the original shirt for both the neckline and the pocket.

It was a bit faded from washing and wear, so I just turned it inside out :) Good as new! I even tried using a double needle to topstich (you know--like the "pros" do)

LA is ready to cheer her Tigers on!


No comments:
Post a Comment