Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Cute as a Button Fall Outfit!

It may only be July, but I have shifted my sewing focus to LA's fall and winter wardrobe. Honestly, she has more than enough summery clothes (but don't count me out on adding more just yet). Since I have just a little over a month before school starts back again, I have started to put together a few outfits.

I am so happy with how this outfit turned out! The combination of pink and red dots pairs nicely with the dark, lightweight denim (with a little stretch to it). The dot fabric is "Picnic Dots Red/Pink" from the DS Quilts Collection sold at Joanns this summer. I waited until it was NOT on sale and then used a 60% off one regular price item coupon (partnered with my teacher discount). Sometimes waiting for a fabric to regular price is better than the sale--just a little tip!

The top is the Amelia Top from Mama Stellato. I snagged it during a half-off sale and am glad I did. It sews up quickly and is adorable on. There are a few changes I made, and will make in the future, to the top. The pattern calls for the armscyes to be turned 1/4" twice to finish. I much prefer a bias tape finish--so that is what I did. I think it lays better and is actually easier to do.

Next time, I will add the button hole(s) PRIOR to sewing the bodice to the dress. The pattern calls for it to be the last step. Well, my buttonhole foot did NOT like trying to work that close to the thick seam created by the lined bodice attaching to the dress. I had to manually sew the hole and it ended up being a little small for the button. Luckily, the neck is large enough that I can slip it over LA's head without needing to unbutton the garment.

I know LA loves the top! When I was sizing it to her, she insisted on wearing it the rest of the day--even pitched a little fit when I had to take it off to sew on the button!

The pants are my own creation. I mimicked the button/flap from the bodice on the "cuffs" of the pants.

A smaller button paired with the dot fabric lining is just too cute!


Not that you will see it when worn, but I made the front of the pants with a flat panel. It decreases the bunchy-ness (yes, I made that word up just now) and they lay very nicely on LA's thin little waist.

This outfit can carry her through the first cool days of fall, the frigid days of winter, and the beginning of spring simply by changing the shirts underneath. I love layering clothes and this top pattern is going to be a staple in LA's wardrobe for a long time!

Off to figure out what to sew next--can I tell you just how strange it feels to sew "warm" clothes when it is 90+ degrees outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment