Saturday, May 14, 2011

KCWC Days 5-7: Snappy Toddler Top and Shorts

(If you are wonder what happened to the "missing day," day 4 of the Kids Clothing Week Challenge was spent finishing up the bloomers to match LA's newest Seashore Sundress.) Sorry it took so long to post this. Life has been busy...but summer is just around the bend!

Last summer I made one of Prudent Baby's Snappy Toddler Tops for LA and it was a favorite. It fit great and was nice and cool during the hot summer months.

I loved the outfit so much, that I decided to make another one for this summer. I followed the advice on the tutorial and enlarged the pattern to 110% to increase the size. PB suggests that this will make a 2T size. I think it is a little smaller since it fits LA great!

Because the blue fabric is a lawn cotton, it needed interfacing to be substantial enough for the neckline and snaps. I used the same blue fabric to create a contrast in the armscyes. I decided to topstitch in blue, which is out of my comfort zone since I normally prefer thread that will blend into the background and hide all my mistakes. There are still some "wonky" areas, but overall I am pleased!

For the shorts, I used my handy-dandy pants pattern as my base. I made a scant 1/8" hem and then shirred 2 rows of elastic just above the hem. It creates a cute bloomer short!

My family and I were wandering through the fabric section at Joanns one weekend (yes, my husband is so awesome that he will suffer through fabric shopping with me if we are out and about and decide to stop). Anyhow, I saw the fabric and LOVED the bright clean colors and thought it would make a cute summer outfit for LA but did not have a specific plan in mind. I didn't know it at the time, but the fabric is part of the Lisette line sold at Joanns. Lisette is designed by Liesl Gibson who just happens to be the designer of Oliver + S patterns.


This is really a quick and easy style outfit to make and I am sure you will see me modify it again next summer to fit LA!

No comments:

Post a Comment