Friday, April 29, 2011

Want a Chuckle?

I grew up with a crafty mom, so I was exposed to a variety of crafty things growing up (cross stitch, painting, sewing, etc.) I was a child of the "Cabbage Patch Age." You know, back when the plastic head ones first came out and you had women wrestling for them in stores. Recently I was visiting my parents and dug out some of my early sewing endeavors. Neither my mom nor I can recall the exact age I was when I sewed these doll clothes, but our best guess is that I was in 3rd-ish grade.

Now, let's have some fun going down memory lane.
Here is a little green gingham romper:



Notice the "precise" button placement (you know, so precise that you can't see the stitching of the Velcro underneath). I am actually impressed that the gingham lines up though! Mom taught me well!


The lining has such straight stitching :) That's LA's hand helping show off the workmanship


Here's the best part. Apparently I made the straps too short the first time so I had to extend them to fit!



Next outfit--A blue jumper--a "Julie" original since you will see there couldn't have been a pattern for this one!:





It seems as if sewing elastic to fabric was a wee bit challenging for me!


Please take a moment to "ooh and ahh" over the hand-stitched hem.


My construction methods were a big more "radical" back in the day (check out that facing!)



On to outfit number 3: A green dress.


This dress was probably the best of the bunch! Not too shabby (but a serger would have helped finish that seam off nicely!)



Finally, the last outfit is a simple skirt. I don't know why I don't have a picture of this uploaded (I'll see if I have one on the camera later), but please notice the seam allowance on that hem!



I can remember being soooooo proud of these outfits. I hope LA will take an interest in crafts and sewing as she grows. She is definitely interested in my sewing machine now!! Must watch for little fingers these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment