Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Make Your Own Banner--Without a Cricut!


On one of the craft forums I frequent, a woman posted a very similar birthday banner and asked if it was possible to make it without a Cricut. Now, for those of you who don't know, a Cricut is a personal cutting device.
Basically, one of the coolest new tools out there--especially for those girls who scrapbook. But it does more than make cute scrapbook stuff...yes, I would love one...someday!

While having a Cricut would certainly make creating a similar banner faster, the truth is, you don't need any special tools at all. Just a pair of scissors, some scrapbook paper (the red dots was regular scrapbook paper, the white is a thin cardstock), a pencil (maybe a computer--but not necessary), a small bowl and some patience--oh and some ribbon.

Here's how I did it. Find a bowl or cup that is the diameter of the center circle (in my case the white circle). My inner circle is approximately 4 inches and the outer is approximately 5.25 inches..

Trace it onto some scrap paper. Fold it in eighths and add scallops to that "pie piece." When you unfold, you will have uniform scallops around your circle. Cut out and use this piece as your template to cut your background scallop circles. Then, take that handy dandy bowl from earlier and trace/cut out your center circle.


Now, I am waaaaaaaaaay to lazy to print out each letter on the computer, transfer it to paper, then cut it out. I get tired just thinking about it. Instead, I wrote the letters out using a pencil and then went over them with my Sharpie. If you aren't comfortable using your own handwriting, or you want a specific font, then you can certainly use the computer to help you :) My letters are approximately 3" tall.

For Elmo (or whatever image you want to use), either draw it out with your pencil or copy/paste the image into a computer program in which you can enlarge (MS word will work just fine). Make it the size you want and print it off. Use this as your template to cut out the pieces.

Assemble all the parts, tie circles together with ribbon and hang!

It is totally possible to do it without purchasing anything other than the paper and ribbons. It takes a little time, but it is an easy project to do at the table while enjoying your favorite tv show.


Here is a photo one I did for LA's first birthday. I used a picture for each month of her first year (now realizing that the photo I took of the banner was taken before I added her "one year" picture). You can visit that post for more details on how I made that banner.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment