Sunday, January 31, 2010

Birthday Banner

Somebody's first birthday is just around the corner. We are not having a big birthday bash (I think those are more for the parents and gifts. She doesn't need the gifts and we-the parents-don't need the attention), but we will celebrate with our immediate family so I wanted to make a few special things for the big day.

The first project, a birthday banner, is complete. I used a picture from each month of her first year (including newborn) and I will add her 12 month picture closer to the day. It didn't take a lot of time and I think it turned out super cute!

To make this:

  • 4 sheets of deocorative 12"x12" scrapbook paper (you will not use all of it, but I wanted four different patterns)
  • 2 sheets of solid colored 12"x12" scrapbook paper
  • 13 photos of your child
  • Spool of 1/4" ribbon
  • Adhesive of some kind
  • Utility knife or Exacto knife
  • Tape

First, determine the size circles you wish to make. I was real "scientific" and used a cup, coaster, and the spool of ribbon as my three concentric circles. The photos are roughly 3 1/4" in diameter. I cut 13 circles approximately 3 5/8" in diameter from the solid purple paper. From the deocorative paper, I cut 13 circles approximately 4 1/8" in diameter.

Adhere the three circles (decorative, solid, photo) together. I used double sided tape since that is what I found in the craft closet first). Cut slits on each side of the "stack" about 1/4 of the way down. You do not want them to be in the middle because your photos will flip from the weight (ask me how I know this).


String all the photos onto the ribbon. Space them out to fit your mantle (or whatever space you are hanging the banner) and secure the position with a little bit of tape on the backside. See, easy peasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment