Monday, December 27, 2010

Roll and Go Playmat

I found the cutest panel on etsy a few months ago that I thought would make a perfect toy for our nephew since he is really into toy cars and trucks. It is part of Jill Webster's On the Go line.


I paired it with a couple of coordinating fabrics and the entire project took just a few hours over the course of one evening and a naptime.


To make the bias tape, I used the spiral method (described here). It was the first time I've done it that way and to be honest, I am not sure if it really saved all that much time since I had to handcut all the fabric instead of using a rotary cutter. Anyhow, what did save time was using the Simplicity Bias Tape Maker my father-in-law suprised me with this summer. I will never make bias tape the old fashioned way again!


I used a thin layer of quilt batting between the two fabrics and stitched around all the roads, buildings and railroad. I opted not to make a case for the cars. Instead, just toss them in the middle, fold in thirds and roll it up. Easy peasy!
My one regret...I didn't buy TWO panels so I could make one for LA!

No comments:

Post a Comment