Thursday, June 23, 2011

The "Muslin" Outfit

You might have noticed that I have been branching out from the "Big Four" patterns (Vogue, Butterick, Simplicity, McCalls). Not that they don't have some cute patterns, but there are so many options available! Oh, and I "might" have subscribed to Ottobre last night :)

Etsy is one marketplace allows smaller designers to get their product out. When you purchase patterns this way, they typically come in pdf format so you print and assemble the patterns at home. The beauty of this is that you don't have to trace the pattern~since you have the file, when you want a different size, you just print and cut!

Recently, I had the opportunity to test a shorts pattern for one of these designers, Little Lizard King. The shorts tie on the side and have a flat front panel with elastic in the back.


They turned out super cute (maybe just a little long for LA), but an easy modification. The pattern is still being revised, but I think it is worth picking up when Liz releases it! It is very easy and creates a cute and unique garment.


Now you are probably asking why I entitled this post the "muslin" outfit. Well, the truth is, I had never intended for either the top or the shorts to be worn. The shirt was an experiment to see if I could draft a pattern (for something other than pants) based on an existing garment. Since I didn't know if it would work, I used some scrap fabric I had--you know, ya' don't want to waste the "good" stuff.


Well, surprise, surprise, the shirt actually turned out pretty good. Same with the shorts. When you pattern test, you never know if the end product is going to cooperate (after all, that is why it is being tested). Once again, another success. Sooo...even though they were originally just "tests," I think this outfit is "public-worthy."

No comments:

Post a Comment