Sunday, June 19, 2011

My First Ottobre!

Thanks to a VERY sweet crafty friend who lent me not one, but TWO of her Ottobre pattern magazines, I can finally say I have made my first Ottobre outfit! I will admit, I chose a very simple one to wet my feet (I only had to find and trace 4 pieces), but what a cute outfit it is!



When I laid eyes on the Seashell Dress from the 3/2011 issue, I knew it would make the perfect "little sister" companion to the Oliver+S Popover sundress (since the sisters happen to have summer birthdays).

The most mind-boggling part of Ottobre patterns is by far the pattern sheets. Seriously, I really think you need a special degree to read these things. Ok, so maybe it wasn't that hard, but it was certainly not like tracing out other patterns I have used. I really had to pay attention!







When using Ottobre patterns, you have to add your own seam allowances. I saw this nifty gadget on another blog and I ordered it (making adding seam allowances for future patterns a breeze!)




The other thing I had to learn was how to make rolled hems on my serger. I have to admit, I was scared to try this because it involved taking parts off of the machine (what if I couldn't put it back together????) Luckily, my fears were unfounded and it was easy-peasy as my students would say!




Overall, the pattern was easy to put together. The directions are sparse, but if you understand basic garment construction, it is easy to figure out.




The dress ended up longer than I had pictured. If I make this again (and there is a good chance I will), I will shorten it up so that it just covers a pair of bloomers.




So Chris, you can throw a big fat "I told you so" my way because it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be!

Happy Birthday Sydney!!

No comments:

Post a Comment