Friday, May 6, 2011

Oliver + S Seashore Sundress

Oliver + S patterns are so adorable and classic. I love everything about them-except the price! But, even that could not deter me from picking up a few of their patterns recently. I did get them on sale---just not for 99cents that you can always get the "Big 4."

Recently I put together the Seashore Sundress--one of the three new patterns O+S released this season. I LOVE this dress! It was so easy to put together! Honestly, I think I spent more time tracing the pattern and cutting out the pieces than I did sewing it (because you do NOT cut O+S patterns--not at that price!!).

I had picked up this fun fabric back in January with no idea what I was going to make with it. I just knew it would turn into something cute for LA and I am very pleased with the results. This pattern runs very true to the sizing chart on the pattern envelope. I made it in a size 18-24 months and it fits LA without alterations (shocking I know).

The pattern is slimmer than your typical toddler patterns so keep that in mind. It works great for us since LA is slimmer than your typical toddler!!

I opted to add topstitching to the neckline/straps as well as around the ruffle where it meets the body of the dress. I think it helps to secure the "parts" and is a nice touch. A sweet friend of mine added the embroidered "L" and I could not be happier with the way it all turned out!

Changes I will make next time are to make the pockets a little bigger. They are really small and it would be easy to increase their size without compromising the dress. I have also seen a few samples online in which ric-rack or piping was added along the princess seams and a contrasting fabric was used to line the pockets and facings.

The small size of the dress comes with a pattern for bloomers as well. In my opinion, these ran a bit on the small size...perfect for LA!

Overall, I loved this pattern and you might see LA in a few versions of it as she grows!!

No comments:

Post a Comment