Monday, May 2, 2011

Death and Dancing

So, Osama bin Laden has been killed.

Great news, coming after the Bush years, where he went from being Public Enemy # 1--remember Bush turning all Old West Sheriff?--to not much to worry about--and then remember when Bush said they weren't concerned about him. Unconcerned about a man who instigated, initiated, planned, plotted, carried out, and laughed at an attack on innocent Americans, killing some three thousand people.

Now he's dead, and Americans are dancing in the streets. And, this may not be the popular opinion, but I don't like it.

I don't like celebrating death, no matter how evil the person who died. While I am happy that bin Laden has finally been killed, and there is some closure for the victims of 9/11 and their families, the images of people paying in the streets and tossing beach balls and waving flags just doesn't sit well with me.

I can be happy that bin Laden is dead, but I don't need to dance in the streets. If anyone else wants to, well, I guess that you're prerogative, but I won't dance, don't ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment