Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Becoming Chaz


I was watching Oprah yesterday. I know. Me? Oprah? Oil? Water? But her guest was Chaz Bono, who was discussing his book, "Transition", and the documentary, Becoming Chaz, which airs tonight on OWN at 9 PM.

See, I am fascinated by what it means to be transgendered. I always have been. I can relate to the struggle to be accepted for who you are, but the struggle to physically alter your body to be your true self is especially difficult. And so many people, even people who you think would know better, believe that gay people wish to be that other gender. Gay men want to be women, and lesbians want to be men. I've actually had co-workers, when I've discussed this issue, ask me if I ever wanted to be a girl. 

And, well, that would be a No. But that's me.

Still, I do see how they can jump to this conclusion. As Chaz said, when he was Chastity, a young girl, heading into puberty, she began to feel attracted to women, so, naturally she assumed she was a lesbian. And she had a public coming out.

But that wasn't the end. She still wasn't happy. There was still something missing. And through therapy, she learned that she was really he; born in the wrong body. And it's quite clear, based on the footage of the documentary, and the interview yesterday, that Chaz is so much happier, more himself, now that he has transitioned.

Like I said, I understand the struggle to come out as gay. That's hard. But to come out and declare that you were born the wrong gender, takes far more courage. People, these days, are more understanding of gay, but transgendered people still have to fight to be understood.

Anyway, if you get OWN, Becoming Chaz airs tonight, at 9 PM Eastern. It really is must-see TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment